With view to the expected proposal by the European Commission on the future Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF), NEREUS is organizing a Breakfast Meeting on “The significance of EU Space activities for regions and their citizens” under the auspices of Member of European Parliament Ms Monika Hohlmeier (EPP, DE – President of Parliament’s Sky&Space Intergroup).
The event will be held at the Member’s Restaurant of the European Parliament, on Thursday 3rd May 2018, from 08.00 to 09.30.
The event aims at stimulating a debate amongst Members of European Parliament (MEPs): after showcasing brief space user stories from European citizens, MEPs with their constituency in NEREUS member regions will give impulse statements on how investments in the space sector impact regional economies and policy priorities. All MEPs from the Budget Committee will receive a targeted invitation.
With this initiative, NEREUS wishes to highlight the significance of space for a broad range of EU policy priorities by fostering the political dialogue at EU level. With a visionary Space Strategy for Europe and numerous regions having selected aerospace as a priority field of their Smart Specialization Strategy, NEREUS advocates for an MFF that adequately reflects the far-reaching objectives.
We would be delighted to have you present at this event and look forward to welcoming you.
For security reasons, registration is mandatory: REGISTER (deadline: 26th April 2018).
Precise information on the entrance procedure will follow shortly.
WELCOME by NEREUS-Vice-President Bärbel Deisting
Introductory remarks by MEP Monika HOHLMEIER
I. European Space Stories
- The Copernicus Marine Environment Monitoring Service, Pierre Bahurel (Director General, Mercator Ocean)
- Beer & Space: How space impacts beer production, Dr. Pierre-Yves DECLERCQ (Researcher, Geological Survey of Belgium)
- App “Solorrow”: precision farming finally easy, Dr. Jürgen BORN (CEO, Spatial Business Integration)
- Monitoring fisheries from space (tbc)
II. Debate with Members of the European Parliament
Complemented by impulse statements of Members of the European Parliament that have their constituency in NEREUS member regions:
- MEP Mercedes Bresso (S&D, IT – REGI, AFCO, DEEA)
- MEP Caroline Nagtegaal (ALDE, NL – ECON)
- MEP Ricardo Serrão Santos (S&D, PT – AGRI, PECH, D-CA)
- MEP Isabelle Thomas (Brittany, France) – tbc
- MEP Massimiliano Salini (Lombardy, Italy) – tbc
- MEP Omarjee Younous (La Réunion, France) – tbc
Concluding Remarks by NEREUS-President Michele Emiliano