NEREUS Virtual informal meeting was held on 30th September from 9:30-11.30 in replacement of the annual General Assembly.
NEREUS warmly welcomed 40 Members and other participants from all over Europe.
On this occasion, NEREUS President Plano emphasized that the Network adapts to the situation caused by the Covid-19 pandemic and will continue to promote its policies and activities through digital tools such as webinars and online meetings. Furthermore, President Plano outlined the following :
- The Network’s policies in advocating for space technology, data and services are a key tool for the implementation of the Recovery Plan and the Commission’s plan on Green Deal to make the EU’s economy sustainable.
- NEREUS is committed to showing how to solve these challenges with the use of space. Copernicus4Regions’ joint initiative with ESA and the EU Commission serves as an example of how space data can provide solutions to a wide range of territorial challenges;
- Climate change, safety and security, and education were identified as key pillars of actions for the Network. On that note, it is quite important to set up interregional cooperation on EU-funded projects by participating in these activities and webinars.
You can find more information in the presentation attached (link).
Ms Ayazi then made an overall presentation of NEREUS past and upcoming activities and published material: Webinars on NEREUS projects (CorDiNet-1st October, Copernicus4Regions-6th October, Space Girls Space Women and Space for Sustainable World-7th October, EO4GEO-20th October, IMPRESSIVE-TBC), Copernicus4Regions’ updates (Breakfast event in the EU Parliament 2020, Teaser production, etc), Visit at ESA/ESEC (European Space Security & Education Centre) Redu Station in Wallonia and at ESA/ESRIN in Frascati, Italy. You can download her full presentation here (link).
Additionally, Ms Margarita Chrysaki, Communication and Project officer, presented the new and updated sections of the NEREUS website (https://www.nereus-regions.eu/ and invited regions to provide her with an update of the profile description if needed (link).
Finally, the programme was enriched with presentations from the new NEREUS members showcasing their organisations to participants & the importance of space data in their activities and why they decided to join the Network:
- Mr Gian Luca Bardoni, Emilia Romagna (Italy) (link to the presentation);
- Umberto Trivelloni, CISIS (link to the interview).
The informal meeting concluded with the announcement of the new date for the General Assembly: Wednesday 25th November, 10 – 12 am via webex. More details on how to register will follow soon.